Changing Scene: 1794-1860
Coming into Southall from Hanwell we now find, in 1840, the Wharncliffe Viaduct and railway embankment on the right hand side and the Hanwell Asylum wall on the left to the Iron Bridge. Come under the bridge, the railway on the left with fields down to Southall Park, a private estate. The Red Lion Hotel, the entrance to Southall Market, and Market House with two or three cottages. Minton. House, Southall Station Road with the old blacksmith’s forge on the corner. Nothing then until the old Hambrough Tavern at Hayes Bridge. Coming under the bridge on the right hand side we would see a windmill (Overshot Mill) with a farmhouse and small cottages in Greenford Road, a very large earth excavation made by the railway — the earth used for the embankment.
Looking over what is now the golf links, maybe the ruins of Dormers Wells House, a farmhouse and small cottages; seven small cottages and forage merchants to North Road. The Elms, old Quinions Harness Makers Shop and the Old White Hart and yard. School alley, five small cottages (later turned into shops), the old George and Dragon; four more small cottages, then nothing on the Uxbridge Road to the bridge. Just off the High Street, down North Road, was Sparrow Farm and a row of small cottages on the left hand side — Grove Cottages — and a small road with ten cottages — Grove Terrace – (still there).
Brickfields were being worked on each side of the Uxbridge Road and there were six cottages ‘Shuffy Row’ at the bottom of where Dane Road now is, and twenty-three on the canal side at Hayes Bridge (still there).
Still in 1840, Southall Station (South Road) on the right hand side Townsend House, Northcote House and coach yard. Genteel House to Beaconsfield Road, then railway level crossing, nothing on the left hand side to the railway. Big Pond, where entrance to station yard now is, and small ticket office. Crossing the railway on the right hand side there was an orchard and open land. Next, behind railings and cedar trees, was ‘The Romans’ (more later) followed by Featherstone Farm. This was near the corner of Workhouse Lane (now Featherstone Road). Records show that a small workhouse was situated where Hansons yard was also, there was the Featherstone Beer House built in 1838, and five small cottages (later turned into shops). On the Co-op corner was a pond and the site of the stocks, St Johns old church and school, nothing then until Pluckington Place, with the old White Swan at the end.
On the left hand side from the station, Hortus House with open land stretching as far as Glade Lane; two old cottages (later turned into shops Alexandra’s papers, sweets, etc.) and, at the rear, Woodlands Place, a double-fronted house with garden at the front at the corner of what was to be Kingston Road.
Changing Scene: 1794-1860