In 1896 the rateable value was £13.0.0 per year. Mr William Wells had a dwelling-house butting on the canal. This, with stables and cowsheds, garden and two small meadows, had a rateable value of £17.0.0d per year.
Harewood Terrace, a row of 29 cottages built in 1876, lead off on the left hand side with Harewood Wharf at the end. Maws Stores and a small sweet shop are on the left of Wolf Green. Six more houses follow with one, Hibernia, a larger house which housed the village constable, and has two police cells built in. Next two thatched cottages, Rusticum; Frogmore and Gladstone Cottages, then Holly Lodge Laundry. The six almshouses were built in 1688 and rebuilt in 1814 by John Robins.
On the right hand side from the bridge, a road leads down to White House (The RSPCA Clinic), but was originally the home of Henry Dobbs who started a Vitriol Factory. He died in 1843. Houlders Chemical Company started here before moving to White Street. Lower down the same road was the home of the Goddard family. They later moved into White House. The (Lorival) Battery Factory took over. Cullis Brickfield came next, but these gave way to Wolf Field allotments. Here there is a small green (Wolf Green) with Wolf Lane leading to The Wolf public House and stables, with the old public water pump on the green. In between 1875-99 the Licensee was Mr E. Daniels and the Brewers, Clutterbucks. The Lewis family had the licence for over 70 years. Four houses built in 1906 come next.
On the right hand side of Frogmore Green the Police Station was built on the old Police Pound in 1890. The Pound was moved to behind The Wolf. Frogmore Mansion which, in 1823, was occupied by a Mr Thomas Walton – he had a large estate stretching as far as the canal and, with stables, barns and gardens, had a rateable value of £69.18.101/2d.
` We are now back at the green. The character of the area derives not just from the buildings but from the fine old elm trees which had been planted to a pattern some 200 years ago and with the pond (or Dutch Canal) in between them. Leading off to Heston on the left hand side, Willis and Henmans Dairy Farm, and going off past the church and Plough, Tentelow Lane (formerly Norwood Lane) with old Court Farm on the left and other cottages with White House and Christie Hansens Works on the right.
The lands of Osterley Park follow to Windmill Lane. We are now at the Three Bridges. Opposite is a large farm (Trumpers) which had its own Trumpers Halt Stop on the Brentford Branch GWR. The old windmill which once supplied bread to the area was sited near by.
What has been written so far about Norwood briefly describes the area as it was at the outbreak of war in 1914.
The actual Declaration of War came about 4 o’clock on Bank Holiday Monday, August 4th, 1914. In those times there was no such thing as radio or wireless, and the news was spread over the country by telephone and newspaper.
The police had the job of delivering Calling Up Papers to reservists. The Local Middlesex Regt. Territorials were in camp at Seaford doing their annual training and, immediately, were sworn in for war service.