Our MP was still Col. J. J. Llewellyn and the rates were still unchanged at 14/2d in the pound.
The HMS Boreas was transferred to the Greek Navy and renamed Salamis and, late in the year, Southall adopted HMS Duckworth.
Schoolchildren were still being evacuated and casualties and honours were in every edition of the Gazette. The main War Saving event was the `Salute the Soldier’ Week. This was opened by Major-General J. Buckley on Saturday, 1st April and, in eight days, the target of £500,000 was exceeded by £37,369. This would be enough money to fit out a Brigade of the Middlesex Regiment. The Plaque to commemorate this achievement was handed over by General Sir Charles Bonham Carter at the Kings Hall on December 2nd. By the end of 1944 Southall War Savings were nearly £5 million.
The hospital committee purchased 3½acres of land at Norwood Green for a new hospital, with the idea of the present one becoming a maternity wing, but this has never been carried out.
Mr C. Butcher retired as Head Postmaster after six years at Southall, 41½years service with GPO Mr W. Pursey was his replacement.
Mr E. J. Burridge, 32 years Relieving Officer for Southall, died on 3rd October, aged 67. County Councilor J. Scott elected Alderman and Mr W. Haigh elected County Councillor in his place. On June 6th Mr W. W. Unwin of Norwood Hall died, leaving Estate valued at £153,759. On December 22nd the County Council bought Norwood Hall and 19 acres of land at a cost of £13,000.
The St John Ambulance purchased a new ambulance at a cost of £800. Miss F. M. Gibbs, a founder member of the Nursing Division – secretary for 18 years – was created a Serving Sister of the Order of St John. She was Treasurer of the joint organisation of Red Cross and St John, dealing with prisoner of war parcels.
The Annual Cricket Match on Norwood Green in 1944 resulted in a win for The Wolf and raised £18.10.0d for Southall Hospital.
Receiving an urgent order from the War Ministry the Cramic Engineering Company feared that, due to shortage of labour, it could not be done in time, 33 boys from the Technical School volunteered to help and the job was completed.
Seven flying bombs in all hit Southall, killing two, injuring 80 and damaging 3,482 houses.
At the request of the Council, representatives of several Women’s Organisations went to the Tate Gallery to inspect a prefabricated home and were most favourably impressed. In December Southall was allocated 200.
Councillor Marks, F. G., appointed Mayor for 1945.
Mr Gale, having retired as Parks Superintendant, Mr Collier was appointed, with Mr Morse as Deputy. With Headquarters in Havelock Road they were responsible for the re-laying out of the Manor House grounds after the war.