Two Presentations – Southall
Toc H Branch were presented with its ‘Lamp’ by Mr W. Haigh, JP in memory of his son killed in the RAF in 1942. Mr F. K. Taylor of the Northcote Arms presented a Mace to the ATC Bagpipe Band. On July 5th the new memorial organ was dedicated at the Kings Hall and the same evening a grand organ recital was given. Kings Hall Missionary, Miss Gladys Stevenson, was given a fond farewell before returning to the far east. She had been in Japanese hands throughout the war. Dr C. W. Seccombe, who had done such a lot for the district, died on 16th December. He had been temporary Medical Officer of Health and Divisional Surgeon to the St John Ambulance Nursing Division and had been made a Serving Officer of the Order of St John of Jerusalem by the Queen. Councillor A. T. Dane was elected Mayor for 1948.
1948 The town had not had a very good year in 1947. Rationed goods were still in short supply. Housing was still a big problem and the rates very high. This was mentioned by a Councillor who stated that in 33 years the rates had gone from 8/- to 20/-, but some relief was soon to come, for the County cut its rate by 1/2d in the £ and the town rate for 1948 was cut to 18/- in the £. In February Dr E. Grundy, MOH, resigned and his place was taken by Dr M. Glass who was already well known and liked in the town.
At the end of January the town Information Centre was opened next to the Kings Hall in South Road. This was later closed and used by the British Red Cross until demolished. Their new headquarters has been built on the same site. Great efforts were being made to get bus services in the North Southall area and several meetings and petitions had so far had no results. On the 6th May the second portion of Hortus Road Cemetery was consecrated by the Bishop of Kensington. Deputy Town Clerk, Mr J. L. Betteridge, died on 28th July. He had served the Council for 17 years. Mr W. J. Spencer (my last schoolteacher) died 24th October. He was at North Road School for twenty years, Councillor for seven years, Chairman 1930-31, Headmaster at a school at Harrow. Captain J. J. Bridges, who retired from Secretary of British Legion last year, died on 6th February, aged 76.
On Sunday, 18th July the Labour Club held a Memorial Service, and a plaque was unveiled to commemorate members who were killed in the Second World War. Later, on the 13th November, at the Southall Grammar School (Villiers Road) three plaques, with the names of former pupils who had been killed in the war, were unveiled by Under Secretary of State.
The Inauguration of Norwood Green Horticultural Section on the 1st February, 1948. The Wolf again won The Bat. St Johns old school was demolished June 1948 and the Revd D. J. Morey came as Vicar to St Johns in September.
A businessman in Southall for over 40 years, Mr H. Keevil and his housekeeper were killed in a car crash in May. His shop in the High Street had a front canopy and was known as the Jersey Farm Dairy. He took a great deal of interest in the town’s affairs. There was a fair amount of unrest among the workers at the AEC and several token strikes were held. Mayor for 1949 – Councillor Hamblin.
On entering the Manor House on the right hand wall is a wall panel, the names on which are in themselves a history of what must be the oldest institution in the town.