Other items during the year: Miss V. Wilks, Headmistress of Western Road Girls’ School retired after 40 years as a teacher. The Lamb again won the Battle for the Bat. The first quads ever born to Southall parents (all girls) came in June at Queen Charlotte’s Hospital, London to Mr and Mrs Phillips of Norwood Green. Revd Stanley Harrison (son of Mr Lew Harrison) who had already won the George Cross during the Second World War, was awarded the OBE, again for saving life.
A record sum of £26,000 was paid out by ‘Slate and Loan’ Clubs at Christmas-time. These were mostly organised at various pubs and clubs. Money was paid in throughout the year, most having their own set of rules. This was a very popular way of saving for Christmas. Alas, sometimes the custodians of the money did not live up to the trust placed in them and defaulted, only to be brought to Court on embezzlement charges.
During most of 1958 the Borough Council seemed to have a very full programme. The first of the blocks of flats being built on the right hand side of the Uxbridge Road, ‘Hamblin House’, was occupied. £6,955 had to be spent on a Relief Sewer. Plans to erect prefabricated houses on the left hand side of Bridge Road did not meet with the Council’s approval. For the first time ever the Council made a direct appeal for loans of £100 or more at 6½% interest. Alderman Marks resigned after 21 years Councillor. In March the rates were increased by two-pence in the pound to 16/8d. The Council election results were — Dormers Wells, C. B. Cripps (Con.); Hamborough (2 seats) S. T. Steel and C. J. Pollard; Glebe, Mrs M. C. Griffiths (Con.), Waxlow, E. J. Shell (Lab.); Northcote, J. Haigh (Lab.); Norwood Green, H. J. Mee (Lab.); Mayor of Southall 1958-59 Councillor Johnson Haigh. One of his first duties was to present Medallions to 18 former Mayors, this included Mr W. Garrod, Charter Mayor.
In the Gazette on December 13th a photo was published of the proposed new Southall Town Hall — showing what it would look like. It was thought that the easing of the money situation would allow for the building to take place in 1959 at a cost of between £350,000 – £400,000. There was a great deal of adverse criticism of the plan.
Alderman Gardner resigned as Secretary of the Southall-Hanwell Labour Party, after 30 years, in April, 1958. Mrs D. Ashall, Headmistress of Beaconsfield Road School, died on Janury 17th, aged 57, a teacher for 36 years.
National Service still in force and young men born in 1939 had to register. National Deposit Friendly Society opened its new office in the High Street, paying out in 1957 £4,200 in benefits. Woolworth’s branch in King Street opened Thursday, 27th February, 1958.
Revd W. G. Genner, leaves St Georges after 18 years — just before the church celebrated its Golden Jubilee. The first full time Chaplain at St Bernards was the Revd W. Bennett.
A big fire in South Road on 12th January caused £20,000 worth of damage.
The Pride of Murray Band was still very active and there were several romances and weddings among its members. Borough Band also still in being, conducted by Mr F. Oaten. It was in attendance when the Annual Inspection of the Western Area of the St John Ambulance Brigade took place at Ealing Common in May — over 500 members on parade.