Subsequent records of the manors are incomplete until the time of Henry VII, but here is a list of dates we have:-
1100 or after: The chapel of ease in the precinct was built or rebuilt. The earliest surviving portions date from that time but they may have replaced an earlier structure.There is a fairly detailed history of Norwood church in Southall Local History Society’s Transaction No. 211. and it is thus unnecessary for me to repeat all the details of changes in the structure of the building.
1233. Alice de Southall was already living at the manor.
1262. She was assessed for one knight’s fee for Henry III’s expedition to Gascony but resisted payment. This information is from the scutlage roll of the Archbishop’s manor at Harrow. The purpose of the roll was to list all landowners and tenants and assess their rates according to the value of their estates, and in this case the rate was paid in the form of military service: either the tenant himself would go to war on the king’s behalf, or else he would pay some-one else to do his soldiering for him. Alice herself clearly could not go, but she had not paid the knight’s fee either.
Alice was the sister and heiress of the previous tenant, John de Southall: the de is very significant since the nobility were distinguished by the preposition in the courtly language, Norman French, whereas the lower orders of society were merely of Southall. Surnames were still not in universal use.
Harrow manor court rolls disclose several mentions of Southall: the archbishops’ bailiffs found it more convenient to hear all cases there than to travel over the appalling roads to Hayes. Sometimes cases were heard at the court of the Archdeacon at Croydon – an even more arduous journey from Southall. The precinct was still not part of the Diocese of London of course.
Already by this time a member of the de Brock family, Lawrence, had leased some land in Southall.
1318. With the consent of Archbishop Walter Reynolds, Roger, son of William de Brock (or Brooks), leased part of the manor of Hayes to John Bloyham at 20 Marks [ = £13.6.8 ] a year for 12 years. This part may have been the whole of the precinct or perhaps only Norwood since in 1324 Roger’s tenancy of Southall was endorsed.
1339. Thomas de Evesham, a clerk, contested the occupancy of the manor of Southall against John de Charleton and Nicholas and Ivetta de Shoredyche – Ivetta was Charleton’s daughter and had been mararried to Shoredyche for about five years. The defendants acknowledged the legality of Evesham’s covenant but they were permitted to continue in residence. It looks as though Evesham may have been an agent for the Archbishop and the process of subletting had not been properly conducted.
1348. The manors of Southall and Ickenham were conveyed from John de Brock to John de Charleton with remainder to Nicholas and Ivetta de Shoredyche. This further clarified the legal complexities of the sublettings. Charleton had a son (also called John) who would have inherited if the Shoredyches had had no heirs, but upon Nicholas’s death in 1360 his son, yet another John, succeeded him, and the manors remained in the posession of the Shoredyche family.
This was the time of the Black Death, and the turmoil which followed eventually led to the Peasant’s Revolt.