Osterley Park Road
The name needs no explaining. It used to be one of the first-class roads off the Green. Several large houses on the right-hand side used to house, among others: Dr. A. Brooks ( he was Divisional Surgeon to the local St John Ambulance ), later Dr. Fox: Mr. E. Holder: Mr. A. Stanley, proprietor of the “White Swan” – brother of G. Stanley of the “Three Tuns”: Crosby House Preparatory School, J.G. Richie Principal: Mr. G and Mr. A. Waddington. On the left-hand side: Mr. T. Salter, Chemist: Rev. H. Smith, Baptist Minister: Mr A. Hanson, Rates Officer: Ven. H.Y. Blandford: Mr. H. Imhoff, builder, among others.
The Southall-Norwood Public Library, built on land given by Messrs. Baxter and Gosney, at a cost of £4,000, the gift of Andrew Carnegie Trust. The foundation stone was laid by Lady Jersey, and was opened by James Bigwood Esq., M.P., 26th July 1905. Chairman of the Library Committee Mr. G. Gosney, with books numbering 2,338. Librarian Mr. W.L. Coltman, later Mr. Percival was in charge for over 30 years.
At the end of the road is the entrance to Hortus Cemetary. This 7 1/4 acres was purchased for £3,274. It was consecrated in 1944 by the Bishop of London and the Lodge and administration office added in July 1946.
The manor House Barn was pulled down in 1915. Next to this, at the corner of King Street and the Green, is the “Victory” public House. In 1914 it was re-named from the “King of Prussia”. This was built in 1830 when the rates were £9. 12s. 0d. per year. It was rebuilt in 1930.
Standing back in its own grounds, where Church Avenue now is, used to be Elmfield House. It was here that authoress Mrs. Chalhice was born. Her books “Memories of French Palaces” and “Distinguished Women of France” are well-known. It later became the residence of the Gosney family. Mr. Gosney had a great deal of influence in local affairs. On May 29th 1895, a presentation was made to him for his services as County Councillor. It took the form of an illuminated address and an album containing the names of 180 subscribers. He was a Churchwarden at St Johns’ Church and gave a great deal to various charities. The family moved to Hill House, Mount Pleasant. Mrs. Gosney died March 1923: he died 1st April 1935, before which time he had been Churchwarden at Holy Trinity.
Elmfield House was pulled down in 1905 and in its place came Church Avenue. Elmfield Market, four shops facing King Street, the corner one being Butlers Mens’ Outfitters. In Church Avenue a shop which was Stapletons, Stonemasons and, at the rear of the shops, a small stable with workshops above, in which Rose Brothers made baskets.
At the end of the road a new entrance to Havelock Cemetary and, on the left, an entrance to the old St. Anselms Church.