It would be almost impossible to mention all who have traded in King Street over the years, but some who have been well-established were – Loarings, Ironmongers ( who took over the shop in 1907 from Haines, Butchers ): Cogswells, Corn and Seed Merchants where you had to go up three steps to get into the shop: Platts Stores, Grocers – who could ever forget Mr. Beasley ( fireman ) or Mr. Gorring in their white coats and aprons serving eggs from the large boxes outside, thirteen for sixpence ( 2 ½p ): Cutlands, Ladies’ Wear & Household Linen: Addis, the one-armed fishmonger: Rowe & Palamountain, noted for all the oddments they sold: Marchants, Jewellers: Quinions, Furnishers whose ancestors came to England with William of Orange. All these shops were built around 1890.
Willison and Henman’s Dairy on the corner of Dagmar Road was built as a Dairy with stables at rear. The next parade of nine shops were built for the Church Commissioners and are much better in appearance, three storeys and have housed among others: Quinions, Butchers: La Rondie, Ironmongers: Keevils, Mens’ Tailors. The corner shop has always been a Bakers, Oxborrows, Ross, Heaths, with the bakehouse at the rear. It has on two occasions been the King Street sub-Post Office.
On the left-hand side from the “Havelock Arms” very few shops have been in the same hands for lengthy periods. Exceptions are Hardy’s, Hairdressers, and his son’s Cycle & Electrical Goods: Boots, Chemist, who moved to take over Timothy Whites and Taylors, who themselves came after A.A. Senior, Pharmacy. Four very old ( cottage ) shops used to house a Cooked Meat Shop, Hairdressers, Pawnbrokers, Butchers. All these were pulled down and Woolworths came.
The “Black Dog” licenced around 1800, used to be a Harmans Uxbridge Brewery House, still has a fair piece of land attached. Now pulled down but well-remembered is Raymonds Coffee Shop, very old in style, but what a good meal you could get.
Beverley House, the home of Mr. Ben Hanson, is still very recognisable, it stands out from the other shops: Carwoodine’s, later Sanders Corn Merchants, took over.
There used to be a small cottage which stood back from the road to the side of Beverley House. This became the residence of Mr. Percy Chapman, Butcher, after he retired: later came District Nurse Simms.