Western Road Right-Hand Side
We are now at the Western Road end of Sussex Road. Leading off Sussex Road is Scotts Road, which one could assume got its name by the fact that Scotts Emulsion ( Messrs. Scott & Browne ) had a works established at the bottom end in 1906. When the works was built their Trade-mark – a fisherman with a large fish on his back – was created in mosaic on a wall of the factory facing the railway. It was approximately thirty feet high with about 22,000 pieces of marble. It was the work of an Italian craftsman, and adapted from a photograph taken in Norway by Mr. A. B. Scott. When a rebuilding took place in 1975, it was taken down carefully and preserved on a new site. Scott & Browne became part of the Beecham Group in August 1978.
The factory is actually in Johnson Street, which got its name from Johnson Lundells who had a works in that area, the development being the responsibility of Messrs. Gosney & Baxter.
Balfour Road leads round into Spencer Street. The block of flats referred to before was pulled down in 1957. Clarence Street was formerly York Terrace, and was renamed to try to create a better environment.
Leading off on the right from Western Road was a small track leading to Tildesley Low Cottages – eight small cottages nicknamed “Tilly-Billy-Bottom”. These were pulled down in 1935.
The Primitive Methodist Church, which faced down Western Road with steps in the front, was pulled down at the end of 1960.
The entrance to Southall Football Ground comes next. Western Road Football Ground opened September 17th 1905 by Southall Athletic with a crowd of 300. Renamed Southall, the Club over the years has had a very mixed history, reaching the final of the Amateur Cup in 1925 – being beaten by Clapton 2 to 1 at New Cross. In the mid 1950’s a fire totally destroyed the West Stand.
Half-Way House, rebuilt 1931-32, has a very attractive exterior. Twenty old-fasioned cottages, two with shop fronts, got the nickname of “Garping Terrace”. This came about because it was a habit on fine evenings for the women to sit out front, and garp and gossip. All this land from Sussex Road to the canal was Glebe Farm ( Mr. & Mrs. Sparks ), the farmhouse and barn were where the shops are now.
All the large housing estate at the right-hand side – Derley Road etc. – was developed by the “General Housing Company” between 1930 and 1936. The Western Road Girl’s School was opened October 1911, but a small school had been opened 2nd May 1887 with 30 pupils – Mrs. Eugenie Thomas was Mistress at £90 per year. In 1890, in agreement with the Hayes Council, the local boundaries were changed and, in doing so, it brought forty more children to be educated so an addition was put on the school. The Caretaker received 6/6d ( 32 ½p ) per week.
After the Lady Jersey’s Own Scouts H.Q. and the former St. John’s Church Hall, comes Brent Road, well known now as a turning point for 105 buses. At the end of Brent Road, on the left-hand side, was Kearley & Tonge, food factory.
This partnership came about in 1880. Hudson Ewbanke Kearley ( later Viscount Davenport ) had a £20 a year job with Tetleys at 17. Being ambitious, he set up in Mitre Square, calling himself Kearley & Company. He took a partner G. A. Tonge, and started “International Tea Company”. They started the Southall works in 1925; it finally closed in 1971. Viscount Davenport was Food Controller 1916-17.
We are now on the canal side with the “Junction Arms”. A Photo of the old pub is shown. It was rebuilt in 1931. Further along the canal bank used to be an old beerhouse, the “Kings Head”. In 1821, it had stables and yard, garden and paddock. The landlord was Edward Smith; his rates were £18 per year. We are now almost to Bulls Bridge, the extreme western boundary of Southall Green.
Traffic lights were installed at Western Road corner in 1935. A pleasant little garden has been effected by the Southall Town Council, planted with trees and grassed over; replacing the derelict old St. John’s School Playground, which had become an unsightly dumping ground.