Southall 830-1982

Then came the Manor House with three small cottages and the barn, flanking the Green. Elmfield House next with a great deal of land, St Johns Vicarage to the corner of Fedder Lane (Havelock Road), where there were several small cottages. Following along Denmark Road (later King Street), a farmhouse (later the Black Dog) and five cottages (later turned into shops).
In 1840 the population was 2,380 and this included staff living in, and patients, of Hanwell Asylum. Now let us retrace the same district which has now dropped the name of Northcote and was Southall and, twenty years on in 1860, has a population of 4,470. There is no change on the left hand side of the Uxbridge Road between Brent Bridge and the Iron Bridge. The railway bridge has had to be rebuilt because of a fire. Staying on the left hand side, a small timber yard and workshop has been established by Parslows Brothers, making wheelbarrows and such things from locally grown timber. No change to Avenue Road but Minton House has gone and a row of cottages and the Three Horseshoes Beer House built. The cottages are still there. Shop fronts were added on condition that an 8 ft. pavement was maintained. Hamilton Road built – this property all changed hands in 1865 when purchased by Mr Garrett. In 1923 Southall Council acquired the property for road widening which, in 1982, has still to take place. The Three Horseshoes has been entirely rebuilt. No further change to the Canal Bridge.
On the right hand side no change to the railway bridge but the land was being cultivated by patients from the asylum. No change to Lady Margaret Road but, just off the Uxbridge Road, Fairlawn Hall had been built for a retired Professor – Thackwaite – also, North Road Mixed School built in 1851. More cottages, `Sach’ and `Durdans’ built at Mount Pleasant. Waxlow Farm of 148½ acres, with Mr J. Cannock and family, had three farmworkers’ cottages. Brickfields still each side of the road to the canal bridge.
Great changes have taken place in Southall Station Road. The site and ground of Genteel House on the right was purchased by the Government and, by an Act of Parliament, St Marylebone School was built in 1858 to accommodate 500, for the education of pauper children of London. Also built, were two houses for staff and a Gate Lodge — the Headmaster was Mr J. C. Young. All this was behind a 7 ft. fence to the road. Still open land to Beaconsfield Road. We now have a bridge to climb for, in 1859, the railway bridge and Southall Station were built. Just over the bridge on the right hand side, lying off from the road, a house was built for a Mr Hammond who had quite a lot of land in the town and gave his name to Hammond Road. No further change to Western Road but, in 1850, people by the name of Hanson came from Brentford and started as builders and undertakers on the site of the old Workhouse in Featherstone Road (more later).
On the left hand side of Station Road a pair of houses and four cottages, and Hamilton Road with 31 houses had been built. One or two large houses, lying back from the road, were in the process of being built. At the side of the bridge a road had been made which would lead to the coal wharves and cleaning sheds. No change until Kingston Road which now had the Three Tuns Beer House on the corner. No further changes were noticeable from the road but brick-making was in full swing all around, and several more beer houses were opened – Prince of Wales, Western Road; The Lamb, Norwood Bridge and the Black Horse, High Street, came into the picture.
Just outside Southall border, in 1854, St Mary’s Orphanage, North Hyde came into being. Taking over the old Military Barracks, it could take up to 600 boys. It was run by the Brothers of Mercy – a Mr C. Bosart was Headmaster. The school had a well-trained brass band, the uniform was mid-green with knee-length trousers with black braid and cockade hat, Mr Dunn was Bandmaster. Every so often a group of boys left for Canada – they had good connections with Southall and the band was in great demand. This has now all gone and on the site now, in 1982, is a large, Air Radio, and British Airways Training establishments.