Southall 830-1982

This would be where Scotts and Balfour Road are now. The offer was not accepted. The present Recreation Ground, formerly known as Bills Charity Land, was bought in 1902 and came into use in 1903 The Lodge was built and Mr Harman appointed as Keeper. In 1909 Southall Council purchased Southall Park. This had been the scene of the tragic fire and was originally Shepherds Haw, residence of Mr Merrick, covering 26 acres. The Lodge was built and Mr W. Perkins appointed as Park Keeper. Later a bandstand was erected and sited on the right hand side of the main path at the rear of the Red Lion. In 1910 another field of about 3 acres was added on to the east side which brought the park to where Green Drive is today. The Uxbridge Road frontage had nice looking iron railings with entrance gates. Alas, these had to be sacrificed during the Second World War. There are also entrance gates at Boyd Avenue. There was a clear view of the railway from the park and, on 12th May, 1910, a fair number of local people gathered to watch the train bearing the coffin of King Edward VII to Windsor. On the Coronation Day of King George V and Queen Mary, the Council provided a children’s party in the park. This was on the 22nd June, 1911. After games and a good tea, each child received a medal to commemorate the event.
There were two football clubs in 1905-6. Southall Football Club turned professional for one season only — 1905. One of their first matches was away to Glossop in the FA Cup. The first news to come through was Southall leading 1 – 0 but, when the final result was given, Southall had lost 11 – 1. As a club they did not start in the 1906 season. The other club, Southall Athletic opened the present Western Road Ground on 17th September, 1905 with 300 spectators. The two clubs amalgamated in March, 1906 and commenced to play in the Great Western Suburban League in 1907.
By this time another Southall farm had been swallowed up (Southall Green Farm), also Emfield House had been demolished, and Church Avenue made. Elmfield Market and four shops between The Victory on its left hand side – the Corner Shop, Butlers, Men’s Outfitters. Four shops on its right with what was to be the Labour Exchange on the corner. Sad to relate here, Mr Richard Cleeve Martyn, one of the first Councillors elected December 1894 and Chairman 1897-8, died 11th February, 1900 at his residence ‘Woodlands’, North Road. The Council placed a Memorial Stone on his grave in Havelock Road Cemetery in recognition of his service to the Town.
Mr R. W. Baxter had ‘South Lodge’ built. This is where St Anselm’s Church is now and it faced south – thus its name. Also built were premises for the Southall Social Club adjacent to South Lodge on the right hand side of The Green. These are still there today but house an Asian Religious Body. Another large house ‘The Grange’ was also near there.
Hortus House had been pulled down and Hortus Road made. It is a cul-de-sac and, at the bottom was built the Co-op Bakeries. Barclays Bank and Watsons Estate Office, with rooms over the top, were built in 1908-9. Three more large public houses came – the Northcote Arms in Northcote Avenue, Mr Jack Gerrard Licensee. This took the licence from the Black Horse in the High Street which closed. The Beaconsfield Arms in West End Road which took the licence from the Blue Boar, canal side, which also closed; and the rebuilt Grand Junction Arms, canal side, closed the Kings Head.