The Baxter family had lived in the neighbourhood for well over 150 years and Mr R. W., together with Mr Gosney, had quite a lot to do with how Southall developed. He was a Councillor for several years and Chairman of the SNUDC 1903-4.
The Council passed tenders for new relief Northern and Southern Sewers costing £67,410.
The new Head Post Office and Sorting Houses at the corner of Beaconsfield Road and South Road were opened on July 6th, 1938 by Sir Walter Wormersley, Assistant Post Master General.
In December, 1938 a very different kind of retirement took place. ‘Dolly’, a faithful old dray horse who had served the Council well for over 17 yearss, was sent to well earned Green Pasture to end her days.
Dr Glass, the first woman appointed Medical Officer of Health, took up her duties on April 1st, 1939 and served until 1956. In February 1939 a proposal to build a Crematorium off Glade Lane was passed by the Council. The war cancelled this.
Lady Margaret Road School was built in 1938 at a cost of £60,000, and officially opened on March 15th, 1939 by Mr Gerald Barry, Editor of the Daily Chronicle.
Mr Alfred Hanson, Rating Officer for over 22 years, died on February 24th, 1939, aged 63. Another Council employee, Mr J. Stearnes — Havelock Road Cemetery Curator for 20 years – died on April 1st, 1939. He was a at Churchman and Chairman of Southall Football Club.
Southall Becomes a Borough
Members of the Urban District Council collected all the relevant statistics and these were presented to the Inspector appointed to consider the claim to Borough status. This was granted, one of a few granted before King Edward VIII abdicated.
The business people came forward – and the Mace was presented by the AEC, Mayor’s Chain by Gas, Light and Coke Company; Mayor’s Chair by Quaker Oats Company; Mayor’s Robes by Mr H. Tickler and the Deputy Mayor’s Robes by the Earl of Jersey.
Mr George Cressey stage managed the Charter Celebrations which were held on September 24th, 1936. Alderman Forrester Clayton, JP, handed the Charter to Charter Mayor, Mr W. Garrod; Deputy Mayor was Mr C. P. Abbott, Mace Bearer, Mr Bird; Town Clerk, Mr Staley Brookes. Celebrations carried on during the next week with a Service, which should have been held in Southall Park on Sunday, September 27th but due to bad weather was transferred to the new Odeon Cinema, conducted by the Bishop of Kensington.
The name ‘Norwood’ was dropped but survives still as the better part of the town south of the canal. One of the first official duties of the Mayor was to open the new stand and club rooms on the west side of Southall Football Ground on Saturday, October 10th, 1936, when Southall played Chelsea Reserves. These were later destroyed by fire.
In November 1936 the trams, after 34 years, were replaced by the then up-to-date trolley buses. These had the great advantage of being able to drop the passengers on to the path.