High Street Traders. What Memories!
Perhaps here would be a good place to record the shops which were in the High Street from around 1904 to 1914. On the right hand side between South Road and the “Red Lion”: Keevil’s ( dairy ); Wells ( tobacco and papers ); Sanguinetti’s ( drug store ); Fairfax-Avery’s ( bakers and post office ); then the Market House and Market; Burns ( men’s boots and clothes); Curry’s ( cycles, toys etc ); Styles-Wadham’s ( grocers ); Barclay’s Bank; Avenue Road; W. Jiggins ( butcher with slaughterhouse at rear ); Jeffery Jefferis ( corn dealer ), Bradbury ( jewelry ); Mrs. Margaret Willes ( 2 shops, coffee tavern ); Price’s ( tobacco and papers ); Tompkins ( hairdresser ); Collett’s ( greengrocers ); Clifton-Brown’s 4 shops ( drapers ); Stevens ( boot repairs ); Bolams ( photos ); Addis ( fishmonger ); Kings ( “Gazette” office ); Warrens ( grocers ); Langley’s ( bakers ); small sweet shop; Salter’s ( chemist ); “Three Horseshoes”.
Left hand side betwen Lady Margaret Road and Holy Trinity Church; Beckett’ s( drapers ); entrance to Abbott Brothers and office; A. Jiggins ( butchers ); Chaplin’s ( oil shop and hardware ); Clifton-Brown’s ( hat shop ); Singer’s ( sewing machines ); Salter’s ( greengrocers ); the “George and Dragon”; Sherman’s ( plumbers ); Lot’s ( grocers ); Wilding’s ( sweets and tobacco ); Anstis ( butcher ); Etherington’s ( milk dairy ); the “White Hart” and yard, in which was H. Girdler’s blacksmith’s forge; Quinion’s ( harness makers ); the site of the “Black Horse” – the licence was transferred to the “Northcote Arms” when this was built in 1907; Penny’s ( off licence ); Police House ( Sgt. Hudson – the small corrugated iron police station was at the rear in North Road ); Juggins and Peace’s ( forage merchants ); Sanders ( bakers ); Corner of High Street and Park View Road.