So nearly the whole of Hayes, Norwood and Southall was worth £30. Norwood, North Hyde, Northcote, Northolt were all Manor, with Southall (Green) and Dormandswells all mentioned as being in ‘the West Middle Sax’ region.
The history of the Manor Lands in the centuries is rather confusing. The first Manor of Southall may have been in the Waxlow area, a ward of the modern borough is in fact called Waxlow Manor but it is quite probable that there was only ever a Manor Farm there and not an actual Manor. Waxlow Manor Farm did actually exist until 1928. In 1821 it was the property of Mr John Brett and was occupied by Mr J. Cannock. 148 ½ acres, together with house, offices, stables, lawns, ponds, garden and orchard; had the rateable value of £267.13.1 ½ (£267.66). The last farmer was Mr W.Goddard. It was sold to Messrs Wimpey and Co., who between 1928-1933 built the Waxlow Estate.
In 1070 the name Deorman or Deormund William 1st ‘The King’s Man’ was the owner of extensive property, and may have leased some land belonging to Archbishop Anselm, his friend. The modern form Dormers Wells dates only from 1863. What appears to be the first records of what was to be Dormandswells House is that, in 1382, Coroners rolls mention proceedings at Southall. Seven unknown men wounded John Braynt with swords. Among those who signed the record were John Hull, Hugh of Greenford, and William Cheeseman.
In 1383 the Manor was sub-let to Stephen Yedding by John Shoredyche for ten years for £22 per year. During the next 126 years the Southall Manor changed tenants several times and, in 1510, Robert Shoredyche surrendered the house `Dormandswells’, a mill and some land to Robert Cheeseman who was already living there. During his time important repairs were carried out on the Brent Bridge but it was decided to rebuild the bridge in 1530 at the expense of the Archbishop of Westminster who was owner of lands on either side of the river. Robert Cheeseman died in 1547. By this time `Dormandswells’ was large enough to have a Chapel. He left the house in his Will to his second wife, Alice, who was the daughter of Henry Dacres, Merchant Taylor. They had a daughter, Anne, who married Francis Chamberlayne. Alice Cheeseman died in 1558. On 11th May, 1548 Robert Cheeseman’s Will was proved and the Manor passed into the possession of his daughter Anne and husband Francis Chamberlayne. In 1578 the Manor was sold to the 10th Baron Dacre. He died on 25th September, 1594. Before his death he had commenced the building of a Manor House ‘The Wrenns’ in Southall Green. Lady Dacre survived her husband by only eight months. Thus Southall Manor (Manor House) was sold by the Executors of her Will on the 7th June, 1602 to Francis Awsiter. At the same time he purchased the Manor of Norwood. It is on record that King Henry VIII used to visit Dormandswells House around 1515 and take part in wild boar hunting across country to Syon House, the home of the Duke of Northumberland. This connects with a very old house known as ‘The Romans’ which stood on the right hand side of Southall Green. The King’s Chancellor, Cardinal Wolsey, used to stay there whilst the King was visiting Dormandswells (more about the Romans later).