When, in 1837, a Mr Dodds donated enough money for a school to be connected with St Johns Church, it was built at the rear of the church, facing Western Road. Opened in 1839, it was to take up to 150 pupils, mixed. I have not been able to trace who was the first Head, but a Miss G. Taylor was Head until 1892; then Mrs E. E. Thompson, followed by Miss Nightingale till 1901. The old school closed when Featherstone Road School opened. The premises were used for a men’s club and other organisations until, finally, pulled down in 1950. Records show that the caretaker was paid 6/6d (32½p) per week.
Around 1870 a small school was built, named Norwood Bridge School, for girls and infants. Pupils had to pay one penny a week. It was gradually enlarged and, with Mr J. Dunn, could take up to 350 in 1886. It became all Infants in 1894. Records show that there was normally a staff of five. The conditions at the school were very poor, there was a lot of illness both with staff and pupils. In 1904 the staff and scholars transferred to Clifton Road School on January 12th, and the school closed.
In 1851 a school was built in North Southall and became known as North Road Mixed School, to take 200 pupils. The first Head was a Mr Rouse who moved into a school house attached. Part of this school still remains. Mr and Mrs Wilson in the school house in 1894 had a joint salary of £192 per year. By 1902 a temporary classroom had to be built in the playground and, in 1916, a new school was opened with part of the old school attached. Mr Wilson retired in 1911 and Mr Payne became Headmaster (more about this school later).
Between 1860 and 1880 the population had grown from 4,500 to 6,650. There was very little change between Brent Bridge and Dormers Wells Lane. At the asylum several extensions had taken place, including a church which was dedicated on 11th November, 1880, and the number of patients had increased to 1,800. Park View Road had been made and, on the corner, we now have a corrugated iron small church. This had been loaned from the Ealing Rural Decanal Association in 1869, and was to serve as Holy Trinity Church until 1896. At the bottom of Park View Road Vine Cottage had been built in 1874 and two more large houses built for Mr F. Quinion. There was a baker’s shop on the corner with the High Street.
The Southall Park Estate (Shepherds Haw) had now become a private asylum. Just past the Red Lion, the entrance into Southall Market with a small cottage (Prospect Cottage) at the side. Then four shops with a bakery, two small cottages, then the pedestrian entrance to the Cattle Market and Old Market House. Three shops and, later, Barclays Bank Ltd., bringing us up to Avenue Road which had started to go through to the station (alongside the Church Path) but not yet built on.
Towards the end of 1880 Lady Margaret Road was being made, coming into Southall Station Road (now South Road); on the left hand side 14 small houses and 15 larger houses were built. The larger ones housed doctors, dentists, solicitors and other businessmen.