Southall 830-1982

Mr T. Salter, MPS, FSMC, a chemist and pharmacist, had shops in the High Street and Southall Green; and Boots the Chemist had shops in Southall 72 years – first next to the Labour Exchange, 15 King Street, later moving to the corner of Hammond Road taking over Timothy Whites, they also opened a branch in Uxbridge Road but this one closed in 1980 and, on August 7th, 1982 Boots ceased trading in Southall when the King Street branch was closed.
There have been several nursing homes – Vine Cottage, Park View Road; Vine Cottage, Norwood Green; Frogmore House, Frogmore Green and Harley Nursing Home; also Southall District Nursing Association which finished in 1948 with the introduction of the National Health Act.
In the early 1950s Southall was a very industrial town with almost full employment. There was a vast increase in motor traffic and traffic lights had been installed at the High Street crossing and Western Road. There was still a great demand for council houses and a large new estate was built on the left hand side of Havelock Road. It was being built in 1953 and the roads are named after members of the successful Mount Everest Expedition whose conquest to the summit was reported on the day of Queen Elizabeth II’s Coronation – Hunt, Hillary, Tensing, Gregory.
In June, 1950 Dr Charles Hill (the Radio Doctor) formally opened the new St John Ambulance Headquarters in Hartington Road. The hall belonged to St Johns Church but, after being used as a Borough Cafe, was purchased by the Brigade and, with a lot of voluntary work and a great deal of fund raising by the members, became the local Division’s Headquarters. Most unfortunately, Supt Mr Jack Taylor, who had been the founder and backbone of the Men’s Division, died in 1949.
More and more aircraft were to be seen and, of course, this was to get a deal worse due to the fact that about three miles away the new London Airport was being constructed. This was providing a great many jobs for local people.
In 1950 Hanwell Asylum became St Bernard’s Hospital and a complex of single storey wards were built on the Windmill Lane side. These were given names instead of numbers – Ellis, Daniel, Clyde, Connelly, Adelaide. Great strides were made for the benefit of the patients. Dr Bernie was the Medical Officer in charge with the total number of patients around 1,800.
Southall had by now a very improved bus service. After great efforts services had been provided for the Waxlow Estate, the 105 going through to Shepherds Bush via Greenford.
A block of shops were built on the bend of North Road leading round to Mount Pleasant and more allotment land was taken away and blocks of flats erected in Allenby Road. By this time Mount Pleasant had lost its individuality and the only thing keeping it rural was Snells Farm in Dormers Wells, the last one in Southall. In Beaconsfield Road the Southall Technical College which had been opened April 13th, 1928 with Headmaster Mr Holroyd, and already enlarged twice, was still having to use rooms at the Kings Hall for lectures. Many firms in the district were sending apprentices there on day release. Tickler Jam Works closed down and the Crown Cork Company took over the site to extend their works. Their employees had a very successful social club adjoining the factory. Another firm which had greatly expanded was the Cramic Engineering Company who now had a large works on part of the old Maypole site.